Thread: Want to find: amplifier with high rail voltage but low rms power

1. Back To Top    #1
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Question Want to find: amplifier with high rail voltage but low rms power

I'm looking for an amplifier that can do extreme dynamic range. To get that, usually you buy a huge amplifer that can do 1000w (rms) for every speaker, or something like that.

However, I don't need a 1000wrms amplifier. I need an amplifier that has a high rail voltage that can do 1000w peaks for short durations, and a modest (everything else) that can do maybe 100wrms.

Is there such a thing?

The closest I've found (I think) is the Mosconi Pico amplifers that specifically state they are designed for music and should not be bench tested with tones. That is the kind of verbiage that hints at the kind of thing I'm looking for.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Want to find: amplifier with high rail voltage but low rms power

I have the same type of amplifier needs, myself. I don’t need constant 150 dB craziness, but I do like those super powerful peaks with limitless headroom. Here are some insights and suggestions that might be worth thinking about when looking for an amp to deliver high dynamic range and SQ.

1. **High Rail Voltage**:
    - Rail voltage determines the maximum output voltage swing an amplifier can provide. Higher rail voltage allows the amplifier to deliver large dynamic peaks without clipping, even if its continuous RMS power rating is modest.

2. **High Impedance Load**:
    - Running an amplifier at a higher impedance (e.g., 8 ohms or 16 ohms) can increase the damping factor, which improves control over the speaker’s cone movements and enhances sound quality.
    - Higher impedance loads also reduce the current demand on the amplifier, allowing it to maintain cleaner output during dynamic peaks.

3. **Volt-Amps (VA) and EQ**:
    - An amplifier with high rail voltage can deliver more volt-amps (VA), beneficial when applying EQ to boost certain frequencies without causing distortion or clipping.

To achieve high dynamic range without needing a high continuous RMS power amplifier, consider the following:

1. - Look for amplifiers designed with high rail voltage capable of delivering large voltage swings for dynamic peaks.
    - These amplifiers might be rated for higher peak power (e.g., 1000W peaks) but lower continuous RMS power (e.g., 100W RMS).

2. - Running the amplifier at higher impedance (8 ohms or 16 ohms) improves the damping factor, enhancing control and accuracy of the sound.
    - It also reduces the stress on the amplifier, allowing for better handling of dynamic peaks.

Here are a few amplifiers and brands known for their high dynamic range capabilities:

1. **Mosconi Pico Amplifiers**:
    - Specifically designed for music and dynamic range, these amplifiers hint at high rail voltage and high dynamic power.

2. **JL Audio HD Series**:
    - Known for their dynamic capabilities and efficiency, these amplifiers can handle high dynamic peaks well.

3. **Zapco Z-Series**:
    - Renowned for robust power supplies and high dynamic performance, these amplifiers offer excellent control and sound quality.

By selecting an amplifier with high rail voltage and running it at a higher impedance, you can achieve the extreme dynamic range you’re looking for without needing a high continuous RMS power amplifier. This approach provides the necessary peak power for dynamic passages in music while maintaining a high damping factor and overall sound quality. This also allows for effective use of EQ without pushing the amplifier into distortion, making it a practical and high-fidelity solution.

Hope that helps with some food for thought, happy listening : )